One of the best swimming locations in North Texas, Glen Rose, which is about an hour southwest of Fort Worth, offers different options for staying cool during a hot Texas Summer! From resort swimming pools, to crystal-clear lakes and two different rivers, there’s plenty of places to float, swim and wade in Glen Rose!
1. The Blue Hole in Dinosaur Valley State Park One of our favorites, swimmers in the Blue Hole can actually swim up and sit or stand in an exposed dinosaur track! The deep water makes it a great place to cool off on a hot day, but it’s also the site of a Polar Bear Plunge each January 1st! We did it this year, and it was definitely cold! Leashed dogs are allowed in the park.
2. Big Rocks Park This free park is a must for a visit to Glen Rose! Explore around the giant boulders, play in the river, or cool off with a snow cones from the Snow Shack! Leashed dogs are allowed in the river.
3. Wheeler Branch Park The clear water of this lake make it a go-to destination for scuba divers! In fact, my oldest earned his open water certification here! It’s also popular for fishing, and swimming on the big floating swim platform! It is also the home of the annual Glen Rose 4th of July Fireworks Show! It is a day-use only park. Leashed dogs are allowed in the park.
4. Oakdale Park The Plunge, as Oakdale’s swimming pool is known, was dug by horses in 1925, making it one of the oldest swimming pools in the state, and at 330,000 gallons, it’s also one of the largest. The pool is open to public.
5. Tres Rios on the Brazos Tres Rios RV Park is located where Squaw Creek, the Paluxy River and the Brazos River merge together.
A great way to get on the Brazos River is with Rhodes Canoes and Tube Rental, which will shuttle you to the river for a day paddle or float! they can even accommodate your dog! Their facebook page will also keep you up to date on the river flow and releases from Granbury Lake Dam.
6. Brazos Outdoor Center A campground on the Brazos River, they offer shuttles for floating the river.
7. Paluxy River Crossing at County Road 1008 A bit of a hidden swimming hole on the Paluxy River, popular with locals. You can park by the Lanham Mill Cemetery and walk down to the river.
8. Pool at Rough Creek Lodge Resort The beautiful pool is just one reason to fall in love with this incredible resort, which also offers water activities on Mallard Lake, as well as shooting sports, horseback riding, toptracer golf, spa services and so much more!
9. Dinosaur Valley RV Park You’ll not only love this RV Park’s location on the Paluxy River, just outside of Dinosaur Valley State Park and Dinosaur World, but all the family-fun activities the park host!
10. Glen Lakes Camp My kids have all loved Glen Lakes Camp! In fact, my daughter was baptised in the lake!
More Things To Do in Glen Rose
Fossil Rim Wildlife Center is a drive through animal park, that also offers a Children’s Animal Center with goats and other animals you can pet, as well as a gift shop and cafe.
Dinosaur World will take you back to the time of dinosaurs, with incredible displays and dinosaur-themed activities.
Loco Coyote is a neat place in the middle of nowhere! We love their burgers and chicken fried steaks.
For a true luxury experience, check out Rough Creek Lodge, with hotel-style rooms and cabins.
Glen Rose Visitors Bureau
Click HERE to visit their website.
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
Having Fun in the TEXAS Sun is on PINTEREST! Use it as a quick resource to find activities in different Texas towns! Click HERE!
© Having Fun in the Texas Sun, 2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
I will occasionally post some of my favorite Amazon items with links to purchase. As an Amazon affiliate, I do receive a small, very small, commission should you choose to purchase using my link. If you do, thank you for supporting my small business.