Since the Harrisburg Railroad first began chugging through Southeast Texas in 1856, Texans have loved their trains! Here’s some of the best train rides in the state, from passenger trains on Amtrak headed across the country to fun zoo trains!
1 Texas State Railroad, Palestine to Rusk Take a ride through the East Texas forest on this historic train, with special excursions to see the blooming dogwoods, Easter, the North Pole Express and other fun themed-rides!
2. Amtrak Texas Eagle This passenger train runs from Chicago to San Antonio, with stops throughout the state! The Sunset Limited runs from New Orleans to Los Angeles with numerous stops in Texas, including Houston, San Antonio and El Paso. The lit up train moving across the Chihuahua Desert is a sight to see itself! The Heartland Flyer runs daily from Fort Worth to Oklahoma City!
3 Grapevine Vintage Railroad, Grapevine Puffy is an 1896 Steam Locomotive, and rotated with Vinny, a 1953 Diesel Engine, they take guest on excursions to the Fort Worth Stockyards from Grapevine for the day, or a fun, 45-minute ride at the Fort Worth Stockyards! They also have themed rides during holidays, such as the North Pole Express and Day Out With Thomas!
4. Austin Steam Train, Cedar Park Sit back and enjoy a 3-hr train ride through the Texas Hill Country in these vintage train cars from the 1930’s, 40’s and 50’s!
5. Forest Park Miniature Train, Fort Worth Take a fun ride along the Trinity River on this fun little train! Here’s a tip, though, bring cash!
6, San Antonio Zoo Eagle, San Antonio Located outside of the zoo, this fun train takes you through beautiful Brackenridge Park, past the Witte Museum and the Japanese Sunken Gardens!
7. Hermann Park Railroad, Houston Enjoy an 18-minute train ride with 3 stops around the Houston park! The train runs daily.
8. Historic Jefferson Railway, Jefferson Running every Saturday, take a unique tour of the swamps around Caddo Lake and Big Cypress Bayou on this historic train, which stops at Diamond Don’s for an alligator feeding show!
9. Trinity Railway Express, Dallas to Fort Worth This commuter train is a great way to see Dallas and Fort Worth, with stops in Downtown Dallas near the Sixth Floor Museum, the Perot Museum, the Fort Worth Watergardens and Sundance Square in Fort Worth! We love the old train cafe, the T&P Grill at the T&P Station in Fort Worth!
10. Texas Transportation Museum, San Antonio Explore this unique, volunteer-ran museum, and don’t miss a train ride on weekends!
11. Z & OO Railroad at the Ellen Trout Zoo, Lufkin This fun zoo train runs outside the zoo through the park lakes, and a perfect way to see the resident alligators!
12. Galveston Railroad Museum, Galveston The big attraction at the Galveston Railroad Museum is all the old train cars you can actually go inside! They also offer a fun 1-mile ride on the Harborside Express open air caboose each Saturday!
13. Museum of the American Railroad, Frisco Moved from it’s home for decades in Fair Park, the museum offers guided tours. After your tour, be sure to stop off at the Frisco Rail Yard for a fun lunch from local food trucks!
14. Cedar Rock Railroad, Round Rock This 1/4 scale train takes visitors on a fun 1.4 mile ride through the park!
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
Having Fun in the TEXAS Sun is on PINTEREST! Use it as a quick resource to find activities in different Texas towns! Click HERE!
© Having Fun in the Texas Sun, 2019. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.