This quiet community on the shores of Joe Pool Lake offers so much to the nature enthusiast, with amazing hiking trails, DFW’s only state park, fishing, and disc golf! There is also great shopping, dining kids activities and so much more!
1. Lester Lorch Park and Disc Golf Course If you haven’t tried disc golf yet, now is a great time to start! It’s FREE, and lots of fun for the entire family! Lester Lorch Park offers two 18-hole courses! Here’s a fun tip and pack a lunch or even bring along a portable grill for a break between the 2 courses and a full day of fun!
2. Cedar Hill State Park One of our favorite state parks, Cedar Hill State Park offers camping, boating, hiking trails, swim beach, kayak rentals, historic Penn Farm, amazing mountain bike trails, FREE fishing while in the park and much, much more!! There are weekly programs such as Butter Churning with Lucinda, where participants can learn to churn butter and hear stories of life on Penn Farm.
3. Downtown Cedar Hill Let the fast pace world slow down a minute as you visit the cute Downtown Area in Cedar Hill. Grab something to eat and laugh at your kids as they try to find the hidden restrooms at Babe’s Chicken House or grab a slice of pizza and some delicious garlic knots from Sam’s Pizza and Pasta, one of our favorites! You’ll also enjoy the fun boutique shopping! Here’s something I love about Cedar Hill, residents can check out BIKES from the Cedar Hill Public Library!
4. Hiking Cedar Hill is the perfect destination for hiking enthusiast! Some of the best trails in DFW are found here, including the Talala Trail at Cedar Hill State Park, Dogwood Canyon, Cedar Ridge Preserve and Prayer Mountain, although the last two are technically in Dallas, just past the city limit sign.
One summer, we went with some friends to a different skating rink each week, in an attempt to find the BEST! Well, most of them had something that was better than another one, but our overall favorite was Cedar Hill Roller Rink. It’s been there since 1956, and it has its share of wear and tear, but what we LOVE about it is that it’s small, and perfect during the day for younger kids. They play lots of games, too. The owner, Super Dave, is personable and willing to help with anything!
This Audubon Park is open 6 day a week for hiking and nature exploration. Consisting of a West Loop Trail and a 1-mile stroller and wheelchair accessible hiking trail on the bottom of the canyon, there is also a nature center, summer camps, classes, guided hikes and a nature play area!
7. Hillside Village Spray Park With over 70 merchants at this open air shopping mall, you can enjoy a little shopping then take the kids to play in the fun and FREE splash pad!
8. White Rhino Coffee Shop The original White Rhino Coffee Shop, you can grab a cup of coffee and enjoy sitting out under the lights on their patio! It’s a perfect way to end a summer day!
9. Joe Pool Lake All of the lake access and lakefront in Cedar Hill is primarily located in Cedar Hill State Park! There are lake front campsites, a swim beach, fishing and much more!
In addition to the DORBA Mountain Bike Trail in Cedar Hill State Park, there are numerous other bike trails in Cedar Hill more suited for casual bike rides! B & B Bicycles is shop in town with great resources on the best places to ride, as well as planned weekly rides.
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
©Having Fun in the Texas Sun , 2022. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.