Hello FALL! With cooler temperatures, Fall surpasses most of the other seasons as a perfect time in Texas to get outside and enjoy nature! Take long hikes, picnics and just enjoy the beautiful Texas views! There’s also plenty of Fall activities in some of our bigger cities, and plenty of entertainment for Halloween, too! Take a look at some of the best the state offers each Fall!
1. San Antonio The Alamo City is all about the macabre, with great attractions at Ripley’s Believe It or Not, or take a ghost tour with Sisters Grimm Ghost Tour! You’ll find plenty of haunted hotels, too, such as the Crockett Hotel. You’ll find more Halloween thrills waiting for you at SeaWorld’s Spooktacular or Six Flag’s Fiesta Texas, FrightFest, our favorite! It’s also a great time to visit the San Antonio Riverwalk, and see the Alamo! Don’t forget a hike or weekend camping trip at Government Canyon State National Area, with great front country and back country hikes!
2. Lost Maples State Natural Area, Vanderpool Cars line the road for access to this beautiful state natural area each Fall, for a driving tour of the incredible Fall Colors at this strand of Uvalde Bigtooth Maples! The park has campsites and you’re close to Garner State Park, as well. There are numerous places to stay and things to do nearby.
3. Galveston Island The island takes on a completely new demeanor each Fall, when visitors come for the warm Gulf breeze and laid back island vibes! While the beaches are still a great way to spend the day, vacationers can also enjoy shopping, dining and exploring the history of the island, when the crowds are quite as crowded!
4. Jefferson, Tx and Caddo Lake Experience a completely different side of Texas in Jefferson! Once a bustling port city, Jefferson is now a step back in time. Visit Downtown Jefferson’s historic restaurants and B&Bs, take a carriage ride through town, or visit the swamps on Caddo Lake on a boat tour or kayak. The Historic Jefferson Railway takes weekend runs to watch the alligator feedings.
5. Fredericksburg The Texas Hill Country is never more fun than in Fredericksburg! Great shops and restaurants await you in Downtown, along with breweries and wine tours! Outdoor adventures include hiking to the Summit of E-rock. End your evening in Luckenbach, where there’s always live music and fun for the whole family!
6. Arlington From Six Flags, to football and the new Texas Live, there’s never a dull moment in Arlington! Take a tour of the home of the Dallas Cowboys, AT&T Stadium, or the new Globe Life Field! Downtown Arlington lights up after dark with great restaurants, or catch a free concert at Levitt Pavilion!
7. Explore the Canyonlands of Texas at Palo Duro and Caprock Canyons Palo Duro Canyon is the second largest canyon in the U.S., with incredible hiking trails, and guided horse and jeep tours, or zip line across the canyon! Caprock Canyons State Park is home to the state bison herd. Both are perfect places to lay your head and watch the stars during the busy Fall Meteor Showers!
8. Big Bend National Park Bring your sense of adventure to this amazing National Park! From hiking trails, rafting the Rio Grande River, guided horseback rides to explore old quicksilver mines and ghost towns, to scenic drives and PGA golf courses, there is definitely something for everyone in Big Bend!
9. Palestine Explore the East Texas Piney Woods aboard the Texas State Railroad, which offers seasonal and special event tours during the Fall, including the Wines in the Pines Tour, Pumpkin Patch and the much-loved Polar Express!
10. Bastrop Fall is a great time to visit the Lost Pines, with amazing things to do and see in Bastrop! Downtown Bastrop has dining and shops in Downtown and along the Colorado River. Rent a kayak or paddleboard to explore the river, hike in Bastrop State Park, find your way out of the corn maze at Barton Hill Farms, or explore the darker side of Bastrop with a visit to the Gas Station from the movie, Texas Chainsaw Massacre or head over to one of the most frightening haunted venues, Scream Hollow Wicked Haunted House!
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
Having Fun in the TEXAS Sun is on PINTEREST! Use it as a quick resource to find activities in different Texas towns! Click HERE!
© Having Fun in the Texas Sun, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Please click HERE to read our disclaimer.
I will occasionally post some of my favorite Amazon items with links to purchase. As an Amazon affiliate, I do receive a small, very small, commission should you choose to purchase using my link. If you do, thank you for supporting my small business.