Pack your bags for a fun, Fall Getaway to Abilene! There’s a lot happening in this Texas town this Fall! From Storybook characters to scarecrow festivals and haunted forts, your weekend in Abilene will be full of family fun!
1.Head to Historic Downtown Abilene to take a step back to your childhood visiting some of the most beloved Children’s Storybook Sculptures! Sit with the Lorax for a while, or enjoy any of the over 25 sculptures. A recent addition are the benches engraved with favorite children’s literature quotes around Downtown. There are plenty of cute shops to visit, or head over to Monk’s Coffee Shop for a peaceful break. On November 28th, don’t miss City Sidewalk, A December to Remember, when they celebrate the holidays and the lighting of Downtown Abilene!
2. Visit the National Center for Children’s Illustrated Literature‘s new exhibit, What Would You Do featuring award-winning children’s illustrator, Christian Robinson, who illustrated You Matter this past year, and Last Stop on Market Street, Another, and School’s First Day of School. The exhibit runs October 8, 2020 – January 29th, 2021.
3. The Taylor County Historic presents their annual Scarecrow Festival, beginning October 24th with a fun petting zoo, photobooth and of course, scarecrows created by local students! Enjoy the festivities and take a tour of the old buildings, train station and my kids favorite, the old schoolhouse!
4. The Abilene Zoo host Boo at the Zoo on 3 Saturdays in October to promote social distancing! On Oct. 17th, 24th and 31st you can dress your little ghoul or goblin up for their Costume Contest! Of course, there will be arts and craft activities, trick or treating, wild animal encounters and new for 2020, Pumpkin Chunkin with a catapult!
5. The Cucubrit Market at The 200 Acres offers 2 full acres of pumpkins and harvest items so you can social distance. Their Harvest Market will also be open for their fresh baked goods.
6. Take a self-guided tour of the remains of Fort Phantom Hill! Read the ghost stories before you go!
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
Having Fun in the TEXAS Sun is on PINTEREST! Use it as a quick resource to find activities in different Texas towns! Click HERE!
© Having Fun in the Texas Sun, 2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Please click HERE to read our disclaimer.
I will occasionally post some of my favorite Amazon items with links to purchase. As an Amazon affiliate, I do receive a small, very small, commission should you choose to purchase using my link. If you do, thank you for supporting my small business.