We’ve licked our way across Texas to give you the most up-to-date and complete list of the Best Ice Cream shops in the state! It’s a tough job, full of hazards such as brain freezes, but one we just felt had to be done! Check out our 12 favorites, and you keep reading and we’ll keep eating!
1. Heritage Creamery, Waco. Located just off the Baylor Campus, this fun ice cream stop makes unique flavors in a great shop!
2. Holly Hop, Lubbock A walk through the door of this Lubbock eatery quickly transports you back to the 1950’s, with Lubbock’s most loved son, Buddy Holly, playing on the juke box, memorabilia on the walls and a fun menu, including their homemade ice creams, with some unique flavors such as Buttered Popcorn!
3. Beth Marie’s Old Fashioned Ice Cream, Denton Step back in time at Beth Marie’s Old Fashioned Ice Cream, located on the Denton Courthouse Square. Enjoy homemade ice cream in a nostalgic ice cream shop and soda fountain! Beth Marie’s offers over 100 flavors, some very unique ones, too! Their ‘Texas Heat’ is chocolate chip with candied jalapeños! Call ahead and book a behind the scenes tour, to complete your visit. Once you are hooked on the stuff, Beth Marie’s can be found at local DFW Central Market Grocery Stores!
4. Amy’s Ice Cream, Austin Amy’s Ice Cream opened in Austin in 1984, and has been growing in flavors and locations ever since. Take a FREE tour of their original location on Guadalupe, then eat some of the most unique flavors in ice cream, including a few that are not for the children!
5. Hey Mikey’s Ice Cream, Galveston Using fresh, local ingredients, Hey Mikey in Galveston’s Strand District serves up a revolving list of favorite flavors. The kids will love watching as they make fresh waffle cones, and the ice cream nachos are more than enough to share, but you don’t have to. They also make a vanilla bourbon ice cream that ISN’T sold in the store, but available at Oceanside Grill and Riondo’s on the island.
6. Henry’s Ice Cream, Plano We became acquainted with Henry’s during the 2015 Blue Bell Ice Cream famine, when several of our favorite ice cream parlors switched to Henry’s. To me, the mark of a good ice cream is the vanilla, and I love it’s creamy texture! There are over 700 restaurants and stores that now sell Henry’s in Texas, but you can’t beat their storefront in Plano for freshness, and pile it high on a Big As Texas Waffle Cone!
7. Melt, Fort Worth Of all the ice creameries we visited, Melt is probably my favorite just because of their simplicity. They make ice cream. Nothing else, no snow cones, hot dogs, nachos, just 6 flavors of ice cream, with a couple of toppings. They do what they do well, too. The ice cream is delicious, served in a cup or a waffle taco! Located in the bustling Southside of Fort Worth, it’s the perfect way to end an evening of dinner on Magnolia, and sightseeing the cute homes of the refurbished Fairmount Historic District.
8. Lick Honest Ice Creams, Austin Available in restaurants and stores in Texas, Lick Ice Cream is too good for words. Happy, Central Texas cows provide the milk and cream, and all natural flavors with nothing artificial. It’s amazing. Visit the original Lamar store.
9. Helados Handcrafted Ice Cream, Mansfield Made in small craft batches, Helados is a small shop in suburban Mansfield making Mexican Ice Cream, plus cream and fruit popsicles.
10. Mad Mike’s Ice Cream, Arlington Chill down with a Mad Mike’s cone or cup! Their ice cream is all made on site, and my favorite feature is that you can get 2 flavors in a single scoop!
11. Happy Scoops, Burnet My go-to for great homemade ice cream, I love their homemade banana ice cream, with little bits of banana in each bite!
12. Howdy Homemade The Dr Pepper Chocolate Chip Ice Cream at Howdy Homemade in Dallas is as special as the people who work there!
13. Justin’s Ice Cream Company, San Antonio Located on the Riverwalk, Justin’s Ice Cream Company has been a staple since 1981 for ending a long day in San Antonio! Their ice cream is all handmade daily, and a great way to keep cool on a warm day!
A few places we haven’t tried….yet! But you keep reading and we’ll keep eating…
Hank’s Ice Cream, Houston
Clear River Ice Cream and Bakery, Fredericksburg
Milk + Cream, Dallas
Sweet Cup Gelato, Houston
Sweet Ritual, Austin
Gypsy Scoops, Fort Worth
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
Having Fun in the TEXAS Sun is on PINTEREST! Use it as a quick resource to find activities in different Texas towns! Click HERE!
© Having Fun in the Texas Sun, 2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Please click HERE to read our disclaimer.
I will occasionally post some of my favorite Amazon items with links to purchase. As an Amazon affiliate, I do receive a small, very small, commission should you choose to purchase using my link. If you do, thank you for supporting my small business.