10 Wonderfully Weird Things to do in Austin
Ever wonder why Austin is called weird? Here’s 10 Wonderfully Weird Things to do in Austin to help you find out!
1. Cathedral of Junk, 4422 Lareina Dr., Austin Pictures don’t do this place justice! Explore the 2 story structure and you’ll never look at your garbage the same way again!
2. Museum of the Weird, 412 E. 6th Street, Austin While the sights and sounds on the first floor will amaze and confuse you, it’s the 2nd floor of Johnny Depp’s old apartment on 6th street that will shock you!
3. Congress Ave Bats There is an observation deck where you can watch as the millions of bats take flight each evening at dusk in search of buggy snacks, but you can also take a kayak tour to watch from Ladybird Lake!
4. Eat from a Food Truck While you’ll never get a better taco then the ones from the Austin food trucks, you can’t miss a visit to Hey Cupcake at 1511 S. Congress Ave.! Go early because the best ones sell out quickly!
5. Zilker Botanical Gardens, 2220 Barton Springs Road, Austin Austin is even a little different with their Botanical Gardens, with the annual Whimsical Woodland Faerie Trail each summer, and the Cretaceous Garden on Dinosaur Island!
6. Eeyore’s Birthday Party, Pease District Park, Austin This fun festival has been taking place the last Saturday of April each year, for 56 years! Wear a costume, get your face painted, bring your instrument or just have fun doing some amazing people-watching!
7. Hippie Hollow Park, 7000 Comanche Trail, Austin The famous clothing-optional beach on Lake Travis is for adults 18 and older, but it’s hard to miss when you’re out on the lake! Although in Texas, and 35 other states, toplessness is not outlawed, it’s usually a city ordinance. However Austin allows it and don’t be surprised what you might see!
8. Watch a Quidditch Practice in Zilker Park While no one is riding brooms, the Austin Outlaws Professional Quiddith Team, the fictional game from Harry Potter, practice in Zilker Park. It’s fun to watch and even more fun to play!
9. LBJ Humor Exhibit at the LBJ Presidential Library While so many other Presidential Libraries are a bit stuffy, the Austin LBJ Presidential Library offers a moving and talking animatronic LBJ who tells some of his more famous jokes!
10. Chicken Shit Bingo at Ginny’s Little Longhorn Saloon Just like it sounds, this family-friendly activity will have you laughing all the way to B-I-N-G-O!
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
Having Fun in the TEXAS Sun is on PINTEREST! Use it as a quick resource to find activities in different Texas towns! Click HERE!
© Having Fun in the Texas Sun, 2019. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.