BBQ is huge in Texas, and one of the biggest names is the Salt Lick in Driftwood. Located just about 15 minutes West of Austin, we love it for special occasions, Sunday afternoons and just anytime we need a BBQ fix. Here’ s 11 reasons why it’s worth the trip!
1. The Salt Lick is located on over 35 acres just 15 minutes West of Austin, so like Texas, it’s a big place!
2. You can choose to sit inside in the air conditioning, or out under the shade of the trees! The live music on the weekends might help you burn a few calories as you tap along, but you’ll probably just replace it with their homemade Chocolate Pecan Pie, or ice cream, or both.
3. They don’t sell beer or alcohol at The Salt Lick but you can step next door to the Salt Lick Cellars and buy a bottle, or bring your own!
4. That’s about 4,000,000,000 delicious calories on that plate! You can purchase by the plate, by the pound or ALL YOU CAN EAT for only $24.99. They have kid’s plates, too.
5. Their lemonade is a MUST have, and they make it right in front of you!
6. Take a walk around the vineyards at the Salt Lick, which has 4 different grape varieties.
7. The Salt Lick Cellars is the Salt Lick’s Wine Tasting Room. Try the BBQ White.
Just a heads up, children aren’t allowed at the Salt Lick Cellars. You can buy a bottle and take back to the restaurant.
Or leave the kids with the grandparents….
8. Your furry best friend is welcome at both The Salt Lick and Salt Lick Cellars. The promise of a beef rib is reason enough for any pup to be excited about going.
9. The Kid’s Ranch is located beside the dining area, under plenty of big trees! It’s a huge playground, perfect for taking the kids to run off their lunch!
10. Even their picnic tables lure you to just take it easy and relax while you watch the kids play! You can get your lunch to go, and eat under the shady trees while the kids play, or just take them before or after you eat.
11. As if all this isn’t reason enough, you can bring your own hammock and sleep off your lunch or dinner in the Hammock Garden. I’ve honestly thought about staying here after dinner and being first in line for lunch the next day.
Things to do in Driftwood
Stay and Play
Camp Ben McCulloch has campsites and swimming holes along Onion Creek! Click HERE for more information.
The Salt Lick
18300 FM 1826, Driftwood
Click HERE to visit their website.
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
Having Fun in the TEXAS Sun is on PINTEREST! Use it as a quick resource to find activities in different Texas towns! Click HERE!
© Having Fun in the Texas Sun, 2018. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.