The name may be funny, but there’s serious fun to be found in Gruene, pronounced “GREEN”, an old town on the Guadalupe River, which is now part of the City of New Braunfels. From tubing on the river to serious shopping, here are 8 reasons you need to pack up the towels and swim suits and head to Gruene!
1.The Gristmill One of the reasons we spend so much time in Gruene is The Gristmill, my daughter’s favorite restaurant! The building, built in 1878 and which is mostly exposed bricks and open patio, sits above the river, and while the trees block most of the view of the river, their welcome shade is a big plus on a summer’s day! Sit back under the fans with a glass of sweet tea and a chicken fried steak as the sound of music from Gruene Hall fills the air and you’ll understand why she insist we visit so much! The lines are long on weekends, but there is plenty to do nearby. A few good, nearby alternatives are The River House on Sundays for the fried chicken dinner and Inferno Woodfired Oven Pizza.
2. Tubing on the River Grab a tube (or raft) from Rockin’ R River Rides! They will shuttle you for a fun day on the river that is one of my favorite stretches of the Guadalupe! If you don’t have time for a trip, Rockin’ R has a day pass which will let you park and play on their stretch of the river there in Gruene!
3. Gruene Hall The Oldest Dance Hall in Texas, you can’t beat a late night in this historic building! They have live music seven nights a week, plus Saturday afternoons and the Gospel Brunch on Sunday. Many of their shows are free, and kids are welcome.
4. Gruene General Store You’ll love all the stores in picturesque Downtown Gruene, but the Gruene General Store is such a fun shop, with tons of gift and souvenirs, plus Blue Bell Ice Cream!
5. Wineries At the Winery on the Gruene, you can go in for a tasting or make your own bottle of wine, even with your own label! The Grapevine in Gruene, while not a winery, has a tasting room and bar, plus a nice outdoor garden with live music.
6. Antique Shopping If you love antiques and unique finds, Rusty Bugs and Roosters and the Gruene Antique Company will keep you busy all day!
7. Old Gruene Market Days Held the 3rd full weekend of each month, Old Gruene Market Days has been a bringing Texas artisan craftsmen together for over 30 years!
8. Gruene Coffee Haus Even a non-coffee drinker such as myself will enjoy this fun coffee shop, with beans roasted and served up daily! It’s the perfect way to start your day!
9. Great Places to Stay! The Gruene River Hotel and Retreat is a 21 and up resort on the river. The Gruene Mansion Inn is another favorite, but there are several rental homes on the river listed on VRBO, such as the Casitas at Gruene, Sleepy River House and Tree Top!
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
Having Fun in the TEXAS Sun is on PINTEREST! Use it as a quick resource to find activities in different Texas towns! Click HERE!
© Having Fun in the Texas Sun, 2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.