Take a step back from the big business of baseball and enjoy an evening watching a game, the sound of the bat and cheers from the crowd at a Minor League baseball game! As much as we love to watch the Rangers or the Astros, there is so much to be said for visiting one of the 11 Texas Minor League team games!
The Double A Texas League is made up of 8 teams, including the Amarillo Sod Poodles (San Diego Padres), the Frisco Rough Riders (Texas Rangers), Corpus Christi Hooks (Houston Astros), and the Midland Rockhounds (Oakland A’s).
Texas also includes 3 Independent Leagues, meaning they are not affiliated with Major League Baseball or a MLB team, but still offer great games in a fun, family-friendly atmosphere!
5 Reasons to Watch a Minor League Game
1. Watch the young up and coming stars play! Triple A team players are just a call away from the majors, and it’s always fun to watch a great player rise from the ranks! Many Independent League players have gone on to Major League baseball careers, too!
2. It’s a fun, family-friendly environment! In an effort to draw crowds, the teams put on fun events and activities during the games! Most stadiums offers a grass outfield which is great for bringing younger kids who grow restless in stadium seats, and they offer a Kids-Zone area which varies from backyard games to bounce houses and some, like the Grand Prairie Air Hogs, even have a swimming pool. The Frisco Rough Riders take it a step further with a lazy river where you can sit back, float and watch the game! Kids can run the bases after games, families are often admitted on the field after the games for fireworks and even movie nights!
3. Smaller crowds. A big one for me, I love the smaller and usually much friendlier crowds at the games! It’s just a much more relaxed atmosphere, and everyone seems calmer!
4. Affordability No need to take out a loan just to watch a baseball games. The already cheap ticket prices usually have mid-week and family savings, even on the food.
5. Great stadiums…. outside! With the demise of Globe Life Park, minor league baseball games are one of the last ways to watch an outside game under the lights in Texas!
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!
Having Fun in the TEXAS Sun is on PINTEREST! Use it as a quick resource to find activities in different Texas towns! Click HERE!
© Having Fun in the Texas Sun, 2019. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Having Fun in the Texas Sun with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.