2019 National Fossil Day Events in Texas
October is National Fossil Month, and here’s a list of some of the events going on around the state to celebrate National Fossil Day!
1.Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose will have a numerous Track Talks during the month, and special guided hikes!
2. The Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary, McKinney will join with members of the Dallas Paleontological Society to host their celebration! Learn about ancient teeth, see casts of animals, and become a member of the “PIT” Crew (Paleontologists in Training). You can even bring in your own fossils and have them identified. DPS will also be giving away free fossils (while supplies last)! Event open to the public 1:30-4 p.m. Afterwards, enjoy the Dinosaurs Live Exhibit!
3. Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History Visit the museum’s Paleontology wing to see their exhibits and special activities.
4. Ladonia Fossil Park, Ladonia On Oct. 12th the Ladonia Fossil Park and the Dallas Paleontological Society will be hosting a tailgate fossil show at Ladonia Fossil Park with collectors displaying their finds, followed by an exploration of the Fossil Park in the North Sulphur River Canyon.
5. Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston On October 2nd join in for Fossil Tech Lab Experience in preparing fossils.
6. Crazy Fossil Dig, Mineral Wells Fossil Park Through our partnership with the Dallas Paleontological Society and the City of Mineral Wells, you can rest assured that there will be plenty of fossils to go around. Take the entire family on a trip back in time to dig for ancient fossils from another era!
Join paleontologist on Wednesday, October 16th at the Texas Memorial Museum, as they offer fossil identification, a dig pit for children and a teacher’s workshop (pre-registration required). Click HERE to visit their website.
8. Waco Mammoth National Monument, Waco
The Fall Fossil Festival is Saturday, October 12th!
9. The Museum of Texas Tech University, Lubbock Visit the Museum’s Paleontology Division, which has an expanding collection of fossil vertebrates.
10. Fossilmania, Glen Rose The Dallas Paleontological Society (DPS) is sponsoring their annual fossil expo in Glen Rose, Texas, October 25-27 at the Somervell County Exposition Center. Plan now to drive (or come camp and/or stay in the area) to see all the neat fossils for sale, come to the Auction of donated fossils, listen to a program on fossils and visit with others who are interested in fossils from all over the world.
11. Meet the Scientist at the Mayborn Museum, Waco National Fossil Day is a celebration organized by the National Park Service to promote public awareness and stewardship of fossils, as well as to foster a greater appreciation of their scientific and educational values. Help us celebrate! Meet our local experts! Join faculty and students of the Department of Geosciences at Baylor University to learn more about fossils.
Keep Having Fun in the Texas Sun!